This is a continuation of the build of the cabinet
for the marquetry trays and covers the making of the
marquetry for the front of the cabinet.
I'm making progress on the marquetry
design. I'm not finished yet, but I have enough to
be able to lay out the front of the cabinet.
Here's a picture of the front with the design in its
approximate place. The field will be a 16 piece
radial match of wenge, with banding of tulip wood
and holly. The border will be mahogany. The border
will be about 4" on the sides and about 3 3/8" at
the top and bottom.
For anyone who's interested, here's the design. I'm
finished drawing it (except for some minor
revisions) and now I'm numbering it. I sometimes
miss numbering a piece and have to add the number
when I'm cutting the pieces out.
I had planned to make all the roses white, but my
wife is now telling me to make the roses different
colors. I'll have to see what she comes up with as
far as colors are concerned.
I have the design pretty much finished and
have copied the original drawing. I made two copies,
one will be glued to the packet and the other will
be used to orient the pieces when I'm putting the
I copy the original drawing on my scanner so I only
get a letter size "piece" of the drawing. I then
have to put the pieces together to make the complete
image. I probably should take the original drawing
somewhere and pay for them to make some full size
copies - it'd be a lot less work.
I also put the background together - 16 pieces of
wenge laid in a radial match. A lot of the wenge
will be cut away by the design but I wanted the
pieces left to be pointing to the center. I thought
that looked better than just laying it vertically or
horizontally. Here's the radial match before
And here it is after trimming (you're looking at the
glue face). The required size is 22 1/2" by 16 7/8"
so I went about an inch larger in both dimensions.
After everything is put together, I'll trim to size.