Today I finished 2 new leather mallets. A friend
gave me two good sized pieces of leather that he found at the swap
meet. I cut them and made an arbor to turn them in the lathe so I
could have the taper I wanted on the head. Then I had my friend make
the aluminum ends for the heads.
I wanted to use aluminum this time because on the first ones I
made I used copper for the end plates, and the result was mallets
that are just too heavy to use comfortably. These weigh 18 ounces
which is just the perfect weight for me to use without tiring too
I think these are very handsome tools, and I added a picture
showing what it takes to make them. It is really pretty simple, but
you do have to have the tools.